Our reservation for Au Pied de Cochon was for 7:30 pm (Saturday) and it was very hard to get. As usual we decide to walk the 3.2 kms northeast to this very well known restaurant. "Pied de Cochon" means pig's foot in case you are wondering.
A beautiful night for a walk and fairly warm. In the lobby we encounter some guys wearing Habs jerseys and Lana suggests I should check and see if I had the wrong game date as we have two tickets to the Rangers/Habs game bought from online scalpers. Nope, I have to believe the game is Sunday night. I see a couple at an intersection (Bell Arena is very close to our hotel) in Habs jerseys and have the urge to ask them, but I don't. Lana mentions to me a couple of more times that maybe it would be a good idea to double-check, but I decide that I can't have the wrong date.
We arrive right on time at the restaurant and the table is ready within about 3 minutes. There is a lineup inside for people we think are waiting for no-shows? Our server is the fellow in the beard asking questions at the counter. We don't get off to a good start as Lana asked whether they had aperitifs, but her pronunciation wasn't a proper French interpretation. There's "AH-peari-teef" and "ah-pear-EE-teef". Apparently the waiter thought she was asking for "apple tea". To be fair, it was quite noisy in the restaurant and difficult to hear. We did finally agree on "aperitif" and they had a Pineau des Charentes to start the meal.
As you can see the interior is a combination of old and new. It is long and narrow with lots of wood and a very casual look. Long bar on one side that is filled with patrons. Lots of families and a bustling, busy atmosphere continuously. Wooden floors and a brick oven for making bread. Waiters in tee shirts, casual shirts and blue jeans.
My cocktail was a Maple Syrup Daiquiri. You gotta order a cocktail that involves maple syrup! Made with rum, maple syrup, lime and lots of crushed ice. It was delicious and enjoyed by both of us.
Our server helped with the menu, although we did have an english language menu--it was still difficult to decipher what was what for dishes. We ordered a couple of appetizers. First appetizer was Pickled Tongue. Most people won't order tongue which is too bad as it is tasty and wonderful texture. The mustard paired with the tongue really helped the dish. Definitely, would order again.
Next up is the Foie Gras Poutine. Wow, foie gras and poutine! Is there a more decadent dish than that? I think "over the top" was how Lana described it. The poutine itself was perfect. The french fries and gravy excellent. Three huge pieces of foie gras. I needed to help Lana with the foie gras poutine. Rich and filling meal. A highlight dish, but don't think about the calories! Should have stopped eating after this appetizer!!
On to the main dishes. I ordered a glass of Penedes white wine. It was excellent and a good size pour. As an aside, the brick oven baked bread was delicious! Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and flavourful. Lana says "serious bread."
I ordered the namesake Pied de Cochon. It comes with mashed potatoes and deep fried foie gras - surprise! What a tasty piece of pork that is easy to cut through and choices of lean and fat parts. The gravy was delicious and the dish a huge hit. I couldn't finish the pork. I did finish the deep fried foie gras of course.
Lana orders the famous Duck in a Can. Duck breast with soy, balsamic vinegar, thyme, garlic, carrots, onion and a piece of foie gras. Hard to believe? Sealed in a can and boiled in water for 27 minutes. When brought to the table there is a plate and the can. The server uses a can opener to open it and pours it onto the dish. We took a video, but not sure how to show it. Lana didn't come close to finishing this plate. Interesting way to prepare duck. Not overcooked as they have mastered this technique. Sauce was incredibly flavourful. Poured over mashed turnip which tasted like pure butter. Delicious! Very unique plating experience is an understatement.
Towards the end of our meal and around 9 pm, Lana heads to the ladies room and there is a tv screen in the mirror showing my Habs playing the Rangers. She does a double-take and checks to make sure it is a live telecast of the hockey game. She returns to the table to inform me the game is on and in the third period!!!!! D'oh--should have checked the tickets right? Too late for us to rush back to the hotel and then catch the end of the game. I am devastated by missing the game and the expense of both tickets. Not many chances to see the Habs at the Bell Centre in Montréal. Crushing feeling so this is the "worst of times" yet the meal is "the best of times."
Long walk back to the hotel and difficult to avoid thinking about the game and not attending, despite the fantastic meal. Another great walk and when we got back to the room discovered the Habs lost 1-0 to the NY Rangers. At least I didn't miss a victory. Next time in Montréal won't make that mistake again and learned some valuable lessons.
No comments:
Post a Comment